Slideshow

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

   Yes it's that time of the year when we remember back about the old year and are relieved to start a Happy New Year. I tend to remember the really impressive things or the negative things and not much else. I think there was a lot of negativity to remember from last year so next year has to be better. I was reminded of a ride I took in a department store by my Sister-In -Law, Donna, Roger's wife. This was many years and pounds ago in Grand Rapids. Seeing me crammed in the ride must have impressed Donna because she still remembers and couldn't believe I have no recall. I couldn't see myself and nothing bad happened so there was nothing there for me to remember.


   I recently saw a flock of between 50-75 turkeys on Ostrander road just west of Maybe in Monroe county. I thought this to be very impressive and I'll remember this for a while. I've only seen flocks that big in the thumb area never this close to home and that reminded me of the turkey me and my boys saw just on the shore of the Detroit River. This was a few years ago and it was about the same time my neighbor said he saw a turkey sitting on our fence and a coworker told me a turkey had traffic bottled up at Pennsylvania road and Biddle in Wyandotte. You must admit these are amazing things that anyone would remember for a long time. Then there are the "other" memories, like the truck and boat floating in the river, that are better left for another time.

   Some things to put on your calendar to remember:

The last weekend in Jan. Ray's Prime Meats in Taylor will be making their venison bacon so if you were lucky this year this is a real treat to use up some of you deer cache.

 The Ultimate Fishing Show Jan. 12-15 at the Suburban Collection Showplace

There will be a NRC meeting in the Hyatt Regency, 600 town Center Drive, Dearborn, on Feb 9th.

  This is your chance to make your voice heard by those making the decisions on your hunting and fishing.

Along those lines in you received a deer hunting survey complete it and if you hunted turkey in the fall go to the DNR website and complete the hunting activity report, even if you didn't get one.

Get Outdoors Downriver.

No comments:

Post a Comment