Slideshow

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Smell of a River

Every year in the spring the Detroit River developes it's own smell. There are many aromas in the smell mostly like fresh caught fish. Throw in some fresh rain smell and a little rotten fish. Ah the ambrosia of a living river.

Usually I get the smell in early April when the first signs of walleye fishing appear. Working just a football field away I can smell the river distinctly on any calm morning. This year however after all the polar vorti's the smell was non existent until just the day after Memorial Day. I hadn't even thought about it until I recognized the smell and noticed I hadn't noticed it. It's always a welcome event because that means fish is going to be red hot, especially with the Wyandotte Kid's Fishing Derby coming up.

Just be thankful we weren't as hard hit by the polar vorti as some in the state.


Get Outdoors Downriver.

No comments:

Post a Comment