Slideshow

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hurry to save your bacon at Ray's Prime Meats

  I was dining on some elk roast and imbibing a moose drool the other day when my mind began to wander. How lucky was I to be enjoying the elk from the UP courtesy of a Ford VP in a recipe from Hoe that was easy to put together, I knew it would be if he could do it. Then all of a sudden I heard such a clatter that I had to put down my drool to see what was the matter. "You've got all that venison hamburger down there and you pick a roast to fix for dinner", Precious said. That got me to wondering about forgotten venison that's stored in freezers throughout the area.


  The scenario is a hunter that bags a deer and brags about it, then gets it processed and goes into the freezer out of sight out of mind. As time goes by some is made for dinner, some is given away and some turns into methane in the landfill. The dinners are the ones that turn into wrestling matches at times. Dishes like spaghetti or hamburger helper, anything to mask or er enhance the flavor but someone complains and the atmosphere turns sour. My cuz JoJo shoots 4-6 deer a year so I get a lot of venny hamburger from him plus I'll help him make breakfast sausage and get some of that too. So I usually have a good supply and at times a purge is needed.

  So at my lovely wife's urging I called around to see what could be done. Ray at Ray's Prime Meat says they'll process the hamburger into kielbasa, summer sausage, hunters sausage and on and on. Check out their web page http://www.raysprimefoods.com/. You'll have to get prices on the venny hamburger processing depending on what product you pick. One product we've been hooked on from Ray's is the double smoked hams. They do the spiral sliced ham but the double smoked is superb.


From odds


  Anyway as I'm asking about the sausage angle Ray says I have till the end of the month to get in on the venny bacon. I've heard of this before but not until just recently when JoJo had a deer processed up in the thumb. He got 10 lbs of it but nary a strip headed my way. I've been thinking about it since then but never gave it too much attention, until now. It's the type of thing that isn't cheep and isn't overly costly but is definitely a different presentation for your deer. Especially when no one you'll be watching the Super Bowl with has got a deer within the last decade. Bragging rights have just gone up...

No comments:

Post a Comment